Skip to main content

Mini Cheesecakes

One of the benefits of teaching the PREP class of grade 4 students at Holy Cross in Burnaby is that it is a great self reminder on what's important. 

Lent is a time of giving things up, but it's also about giving to others (as in Almsgiving). We made a class list of the students and each student was to put on the list something they were giving up and something they were going to do that was nice for someone else.

They were kind of shy about it.... so after the first one, I put my own two up.

1) I am giving up Facebook for 40 days. Much harder than one would think. Not because I'm addicted to it, but more because I use it to post updates on my 90 day Planking challenge. But giving it up means not just NOT checking on other's updates, but also not updating my own status on their. There is a work around, I can post to Instagram which cross posts to Facebook. Not really cheating because I'm not accessing FB.

2) I promised to make mini cheesecakes for the Arthur Murray Coquitlam dance studio for their next event. Everyone there loves my mini cheesecakes. Most say they don't like cheesecake, but they love mine. The secret is in the preparation. These are not heavy, not dense. They are light and super airy. My favourite ones are those with adult flavours, like the Chocolate with Bourbon soaked cherries. Or the Bailey's Irish Cream mini cheesecakes. Lady K says her favourite is still the Rum and Raisin ones. 

* Note: the 90 day planking challenge was what I set out on January 2nd as my goal. To complete a 5 minute plank by the end of 90 days. There's no physical benefit to holding these for more than one minute according to all the research I've done. They (the "experts") say do three separate one minute planks while tightening the abs. My plank is now up to 4 minutes and 39 seconds. I do not let the back bow at all and abs are tight throughout. So I am positive that whoever said there's no benefit has not tried holding a plank that long. Because my abs and thighs are burning after the 4 minute mark.

Here's a reminder of what my mini cheesecakes look like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raspberry Red Velvet cheesecake  Strawberry Vanilla mini cheesceakes  A multitude of mini cheescakes done for a wedding at Earl's Yaletown in 2016 One of my first cheesceakes - a white and dark chocolate swirl cheesecake

Double Chocolate Marble Cheesecake

Crust: 1/4 cup Graham crumbs 3/4 cup Oreo Chocolate cookie crumbs 1/2 cup pecans, ground 1/3 cup butter, melted Filling: 3 packages cream cheese, at room temperature 3 tbsp sugar 3 eggs, at room temperature 1 tsp vanilla 1 cup sour cream 2 tbsp all purpose flour 4 squares Bakers white chocolate 2 squares Bakers dark chocolate 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp cocoa powder 1. Preheat oven to 350F. 2. Combine the nuts, crumbs and melted butter. Press evenly onto the bottom of one 9" spring form pan. Bake for 5-8 min. Set aside to cool. 3. Melt both chocolates over a double boiler and set aside. The dark chocolate may be quite stiff and can be softened by adding the tablespoon of butter to the chocolate just before removing from the double boiler. 4. For the filling, beat the cream cheese and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Add vanilla and sour cream and beat until blended. 5. Take 1/3 of the mixture to a separate bowl, add dark chocolate and cocoa powder and mix it in. Beat in 1 egg j

Cheese Roll Ups

This was just an off the cuff idea I had for yesterdays complement to the spaghetti dinner I made for the kids.  They loved it, so with that kind of review, I'm happy to pass it on. 10 inch cheese tortillas ricotta cheese garlic hummus medium hot salsa Spread ricotta cheese across the entire tortilla.  Then spread hummus across the ricotta.  In the center of the tortilla, leave about 2 tablespoons of the salsa in a line across the center.  Roll the tortilla up, keeping the mixture inside.  Place on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 for about 15 to 20 minutes.