Instagram

Sunday, November 13, 2011

perogies or pierogi or varenaki

My grandmother was Russian.  She was smuggled out in a suitcase when she was three years old, strapped to the bottom of a boxcar along with the rest of her family escaping from the Bolshevik revolution. 

She used to make varenaki or what we now call perogies.  The russian perogie is a sweet bun made with yeast.  I had forgotten what she called them until I saw it in a recipe today.

I've decided to make some homemade perogies, but with a twist.  Going to put sweet potatoes with bacon and onion inside, instead of regular potatoes. 

I'll let you know how they turn out.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Joe - agin we find ourselves kindred! I am a foodie, too - you will have to visit my blog as well. I will send you a link. Your pierogi sound amazing!